Labels

Thursday 18 August 2011

Pottermore

Clearly JK Rowling is one of the most powerful people of our generation. She has a million people on a string and is able to pull them in any direction she likes. I was so excited when she announced Pottermore, I waited up and watched the owls gathering and watched the video. I marked the thirty-first in my calendar and stopped what I was doing the moment the page changed so I could solve the first clue as soon as possible. But, rather than an online experience of the books, it’s become an online waiting game, each step of progress involved a week or two of waiting and several hours refreshing our emails, and it’s just getting frustrating.
If anybody suggested that you wait up until three o’clock in the morning to watch a new youtube video being uploaded, you wouldn’t. And I have never been more diligent with my email. But it’s JK, we’d do it for her. We are doing it for her. No doubt she could tell us that we have to hop around on one foot, with a thumb in our ear and singing at the top of our lungs. But hey, if that’s what I have to do to get in early, where to I hop?
But it’s not that I’m not excited, oh god I am. Not so much for the game and the online experience, but for the extra information- that’s what I love about JK, she just has so much more than novels. I adore her personal website. jkrowling.com, and could spend hours just looking through everything on her desk and discovering its secrets. If she has the same inspiration and the same creative team behind her on this website, I’m sure I’m going to love it too. And in all honesty, a biggest part of my Harry Potter memory, (which spans over a decade) more than half of it was spent waiting in anticipation, trying to work out what was coming next and praying that the day comes faster. Whenever that day is.

No comments: