Labels

Wednesday 17 August 2011

Becoming A Writer

I have discovered one of those gems that you didn’t realise would be amazing until your part way through and your mind is sufficiently blown. I have this odd little break in my timetable, in which I try, almost always, to find something to broaden the mind in the massively huge university library. While struggling with the dewy decimal system, which is a rant entirely within itself, I eventually stumbled across the writing section. I was never one for the books that tell you how to write, and naturally there are a great many number of them out there. And in between all those books about “How to Write a Good Sentence” and “Plots: What to avoid” there has to be something that is going to actually help you. And I found it. Dorathea Brande, an amazingly helpful writer who knows just what to say and, as promised on the back, “get over yourself and start writing".

What I thought was most curious about her writing was her very old style, and phrases along the lines of “you can use a type writer, if you know how to” and being a curious being, I checked the publication date, to find out it was published nearly ninety years ago. Clearly there are things that stand the test of time, the moody, self indulgent writer that she describes, is clearly one of them. And although I’m one of her reader that is able to brave the computer, her advice, wisdom and ideas are some of the most inspiring I have come across. Things on how to write any time anywhere and how to not take rejection less personally, and better yet, not a single chapter on how to structure sentences.

No comments: