Labels

Monday 27 June 2011

Unconscious Maggie Smith Marathon


Somehow, rather unconsciously, over the last week I’ve watch eight different Maggie Smith films and I have come to the conclusion that she is not recognised as much as she ought. As a fairly solid gen y-er, my introduction to Dame Maggie was through Harry Potter, and I think she’s  wonderful as McGonagall, and to be honest, I didn’t really see her in any other way, she was stuck in my mind (and a daresay will be for quite a while longer) as a Professor. So, Friday night was spend in the company of old friends as I watched, well, re-watched the first four HP films (don’t tease me, I’d been having a hard day, and there are few films that works better or faster)  and again I didn’t take any more notice of her that I had for the last ten years.
I was then instructed to find an “intelligent” film to watch with my mum and a “make my belly hurt” film with my little sister. I only had one night and had to find something accommodating for the two. I normally have very poor judgment on picking a movie. A trip to the video shop can take most of an hour, and even then I often call someone for backup. I do send a good time finding movies and my Watch List on imdb goes on for several pages, but the moment I step into the video shop, they all slip from my mind. So after my usual walk through the video shop, (only 40 minutes, close to a record) I managed to find something. Keeping Mum. I judge a film by who’s in it and as soon as I see Maggie Smith on the front cover, I can almost guarantee that it’s not terrible; and hopefully intelligent. She is then followed by Rowan Atkinson, who is sure for a giggle. So sure sounds good, something to please everyone. I was wrong, of course. This was wonderful. And most defiantly where my adoration for Maggie Smith was solidified. Genius, pure genius. And I can’t really say anything about it because the premise could be seen as a plot spoiler (but apparently, just by googling the trailer everything comes out, including all of the best one liners- so be cautious, it’s so much better when you don’t expect it) . So think Nanny McPhee cross with Death at A Funeral and good English humour.
In Australia, Downton Abbey is airing for the first time, and as a loved of cravats and the like, it’s hard for me to go past a period drama without starring for a bit. She’s in it. I love it. Let’s keep it simple.
The next day I was on my own again perusing the selves of Target, when I came across the under ten dollar section. I am a student, and on top of that an unemployed student, so an awful lot of my splurges come from the discount bin. Here I came across my next piece. Murder By Death. I love a good murder mystery, and I also love a good spoof movie. So I was intrigued. I watched it without even knowing that Maggie Smith was in it. I was for a long time convinced that Maggie Smith was “born old” now, don’t take that literally, I had just never seen a movie with her when she wasn’t fifty plus (this really does show my ignorance). Well, there is always the exception to the rule and this was it.  She was beautiful, and so funny. But it wasn’t out of character Maggie Smith, why with each movie I watched I loved her more. So well composed and dignified, yet able to make fun of herself for begin so. . It was a funny movie that had me laughing. It took great ‘detective’ and put them together for a murder. These detectives included a Miss Marbles and a moustache clad Belgium. With spoof movies, it always helps knowing who and what they are making fun of, and honestly I didn’t, I know my Agatha Christies but other than that I was lost, but it was still funny.
I think, in short, this is a post confirming what so many people before me had decided on, and I’m just a bit slow. Maggie Smith is a genius. Period. Fin. End   

No comments: