Labels

Friday 3 June 2011

Reflecting on Strange Tides: A Review


Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides   

I only saw this this afternoon, and still trying to get my head around it (but this was also the case when the last two pirate movies came out, so by tomorrow it is quite likely that I will love it) there was defiantly a different vibe from the previous film, which I was expecting, new director and all, but there was something odd. What I adored about the first movie (and the others, although by the third I was sufficiently confused) was the contrasting characters. The three leads were so very different from one another- compare Keira Knightly’s Elizabeth to Jack Sparrow and there is almost no similarities- each of the characters are distinguished in their own way. But in this film the breadth of characters was lost; Johnny Depp is amazing, no doubt about that, but the other characters were a little two diminishable. 

And on a side note to characters, but I found a lack of attractive men in this film (when I raised this comment, I received a few in looks from my surrounding company, who were all content with Johnny). Although I adore is dark soul searching eyes, when he has dreadlocks and copious amount of eyeliner, I’m not fulfilled. Maybe I’ve gotten gluttonous, having previously had both Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom, I think I was expected something… more. Perhaps they forgot the female audience, focusing on the men, drawing them in with Penelope Cruz’s carefully placed tattoo.    

The plot line was a little confusing, but I do enjoy that; I enjoy anything that you have to watch twice to understand and I think the Pirate films fall into that category. It is a film that requires a strong bladder, once you are in the theatre if you leave, only for a moment; there is a good chance that you won’t understand the rest of the film. Once I got home however, and did my regular imdb check I found out that the plot was based on a novel entirely separate from the pirate franchise. But once this was uncovered, it made a lot of sense. The drastic change in setting from the Caribbean to London -bit odd eh- and the sense of a quest rather than a misfit adventure, (there was a strong feeling that they were moving towards something, whereas there was a defiant unpredictable-ness about the first few.) The little quirks from the first movies: the eunuch and the midgets were lost because they were no longer relevant; but that shouldn’t mean they ought to be cut out all-together. Should it?

There were some funny moments too. I did laugh at the antics of Jack, just as much as the previous and the fact that Judy Dench was in it made me giggle a little. But it did suffer, as most comedies do, with having the best lines in the promo, but that didn’t stop me wanting to see it.  And no doubt I will see every other one that follows, but I hope they don’t lose too much of what I originally loved. 
            - Emily

No comments: